Freyja and Christina crossing the English/Welsh border on the Chirk akkiduck

Thursday 5 January 2012

Stuff of Dreams

The Bloke was up-top enjoying a late afternoon drink – dusk comes early at this time of year.  A cyclist stopped – he’d seen the For Sale sign in the greenhouse.

“Is that fifty-five thousand for both boats ?” he asked.
“Yes” said the Bloke.
“Why two then ?”
So the Bloke explained the layout, benefits of the butty, not restricted by single width locks as wide-beams are, half the licence fee, blah blah.
“Cor” said the man.  “… But I’ve got a house.”
“Sell the house” said the Bloke, “and invest the left-over capital to give you an income, to live off.”
“COR.  The ex-wife wouldn’t know where I was. … And I wouldn’t have to pay her alimony … an’ I’ve got other debts too …”  Then, “these are expensive to rent aren’t they ?”
“Fairly.”
“I could live on that one”, indicating the butty, “and rent that one out in the summer.  Cor.”

He won’t be back, but I bet he has some happy dreams, about the possibilities.

No comments: